Pots on carve top guitars

Dazkeirle

I have an old school carved top Soloist body I'm currently refinishing.

I've never built a carved top before and the only one I own is a PRS which has large wells around the pot holes to recess the knobs into.

On this Warmoth I can see that the holes for the controls are stright down, but the body is pretty carved and angled. How does that work when mounting the pots? Do I simply work the washer into the finish (on one side)?

my carved top Soloist body in this build
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26545.msg380818#msg380818

look OK as I not using big diameter knobs

index.php

Attachments

• knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 533
Use one of the longer bushing pots to fit through a rear route, and put the flat washer that will come with it between the top retainer nut and the finish. The star/lock washer will go underneath between the pot body and the top, as shown here...

pot_2.jpg

Hendrix said:
my carved top Soloist body in this build
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26545.msg380818#msg380818

look OK as I not using big diameter knobs

index.php

Thanks, Any chance you could take a photograph of the the lower most pot with out the knob?

Mine is an older soloist carve which had quite a deep carve, is this the same?

One side of the pot hole is easily 1mm higher than the other, so I'm trying to work out how that works as the hole is goes straight down. How does the washer sit down flat on the top?

Dazkeirle said:

I've never built a carved top before and the only one I own is a PRS which has large wells around the pot holes to recess the knobs into.

On this Warmoth I can see that the holes for the controls are stright down, but the body is pretty carved and angled. How does that work when mounting the pots? Do I simply work the washer into the finish (on one side)?

If you have the ability, what about a thick wooden or plastic washer that will fit over the pot neck, then sand one side of it at an angle to match the angle of the guitar face.? This might allow the pot to sit level enough when the nut is tightened down. With a drill and some sanding it wouldn't be too hard to make such a thing.

PhilHill said:
Dazkeirle said:

If you have the ability, what about a thick wooden or plastic washer that will fit over the pot neck, then sand one side of it at an angle to match the angle of the guitar face.? This might allow the pot to sit level enough when the nut is tightened down. With a drill and some sanding it wouldn't be too hard to make such a thing.

Yeah thats defo an option.

I'm just surprised this hasn't come up before. I can't be the first person to want to put a pot into a Warmoth carve top soloist.

Perhaps it's a non-issue as Hendrix has shown, or maybe I'm over thinking this.

I've ordered some pots, will see how they fit and go from there.

Back