Show us your guts

Doner Designs

Show us your control cavity guts - simple, complex, sexy, etc!

This one is a four band Audere noise cancelling preamp.  It has five modules.  One is for the tone controls and the other four, along with the four phantom coils, contain the noise cancellation circuitry.  It feeds 3 pairs of single coils with a possible 63 coil combinations, all of which are noiseless.

I wasn't sure if it would fit the cavity but it did.  I had hoped to add a switch to bypass the phantom coil circuits but it would have needed a 6 pole switch and would have nearly doubled the wiring.  I have another similar preamp with a bypass and found it to be very transparent so opted not to have a bypass switch on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    817.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 326
LOVE this thread - great work, btw.

Just a couple Strat builds.

46323F9F-AAA6-4ED1-9DEA-53C53AD926EE_zpsoybbvtnd.jpg

C864587E-AE9D-4727-8846-E2E1120A04B6_zpslslnio6w.jpg

C2AFFB70-BABB-4CA3-8398-4387B183F92A_zpschycnfhc.jpg

TFS - whereabout?  CRAZY looking axe, BTW.

Doner, my initial response is too muted.  I can't believe you fit all of that into the control cavity!  I can see why we switched to printed circuits haha.

Ah might've been something that was meant to be "panel" mounted, but stuffed it back there due to space constraints. 

Edit:  This in brass/gold would be awesome.  What's another hole?  :laughing7:

images

Thanks for the replies!  Some really clean work you guys have done - short and elegant wires with no waste - something I have never been able to master but my son is pretty good at it.  I have trouble with the mini switches too.  Hands get a little shaky when you drink 15 cups of coffee a day.  :)

The LED is a battery life indicator which comes standard on Audere preamps.  I always leave it inside rather than try to drill a perfect hole and glue it.  I really like the mounting flange or whatever you call that thing.  Maybe I'll get some of those and mount to the cavity cover.  I have the same deal in 4 basses.  Now that I play out once in awhile I've been thinking that the light would be helpful.  Thanks for the idea.

15 cups??  Man, you are my new idol.  I'm up to 5 haha!

No hot glue needed with that bezel, but I understand how you might not want it out front.  If you plan on mounting it on the control plate, be aware that it has some height to it and will not play nice with your clothes.

Nothing wrong with a little extra wire! Looks good enough and what a brave endeavor.

Doner Designs said:
Thanks for the replies!  Some really clean work you guys have done - short and elegant wires with no waste - something I have never been able to master but my son is pretty good at it.  I have trouble with the mini switches too.  Hands get a little shaky when you drink 15 cups of coffee a day.  :)

The LED is a battery life indicator which comes standard on Audere preamps.  I always leave it inside rather than try to drill a perfect hole and glue it.  I really like the mounting flange or whatever you call that thing.  Maybe I'll get some of those and mount to the cavity cover.  I have the same deal in 4 basses.  Now that I play out once in awhile I've been thinking that the light would be helpful.  Thanks for the idea.

You could rear load it from the inside of the cavity cover, and the lil built in washer will keep it from going all the way through.  Shouldn't tug on your breeches much, if at all.
If it does, just find some washers to act as spacers to bring the top of the LED flush with the surface of the cover, and "Bob's your Uncle" as the Brits say.

Here are a couple of others.  Forgot I had these on my work PC...speaking of which I should get to work.  :)

Both of these use Audere 4 band preamps.  The first is noise cancelling similar to my opening post, but it's a lot simpler since there are only 4 coils.  The one in my first post had 6 coils and there were 2 types of coils.  Each of those 3 pickups had one coil with Alnico 4 magnets and one with Alnico 5.

Attachments

• guts.jpg
    guts.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0246 (2).JPG
    IMG_0246 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
  • 442 Hood Open.jpg
    442 Hood Open.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 442 Bass.jpg
    442 Bass.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 316
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
You could rear load it from the inside of the cavity cover, and the lil built in washer will keep it from going all the way through.  Shouldn't tug on your breeches much, if at all.
If it does, just find some washers to act as spacers to bring the top of the LED flush with the surface of the cover, and "Bob's your Uncle" as the Brits say.

Only issue is that the top of the bezel is like a tuner bushing, so it has to be loaded from the front (errr front of the rear plate).  The LED is then fed through the front end of the bezel, where the legs pass through two channels, exiting behind the control plate. 

Caveat:  I could be misunderstanding you.  It is 3:00 PM or in office vernacular, "The Big Push", whereby use of aforementioned caffeine suspended in said aqueous solution is used to prevent sleeping.  :tard:

Doner Designs said:
Here are a couple of others.  Forgot I had these on my work PC...speaking of which I should get to work.  :)

Tasty treats!

fdesalvo said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

Only issue is that the top of the bezel is like a tuner bushing, so it has to be loaded from the front (errr front of the rear plate).  The LED is then fed through the front end of the bezel, where the legs pass through two channels, exiting behind the control plate. 

Caveat:  I could be misunderstanding you.  It is 3:00 PM or in office vernacular, "The Big Push", whereby use of aforementioned caffeine suspended in said aqueous solution is used to prevent sleeping.  :tard:

Doner Designs said:

Tasty treats!

:toothy10:

Talk about a Blivet... (10lbs. of shite in a 5 pound bag.)
Eliminated one volume in favor of master V/T configuration,
plus I had to have space to mount the battery...
I had to glue in a mounting block so the battery clip would clear the tone pot.

12112069_888021771287274_1541199770424177384_n.jpg

sixstringsamurai said:

Fill that with eboxy & pitch it to ACME as a drop in!

sixstringsamurai said:

Nice.  I like your tagline about volume vs talent.  Reminds me of my favorite line from Spinal Tap-

"...one of Britain's loudest bands..."

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
sixstringsamurai said:
I had to glue in a mounting block so the battery clip would clear the tone pot

Fill that with eboxy & pitch it to ACME as a drop in!
Sorta, I get the nylon hole plugs at the hardware store, they work great for capping pot holes, and come in two popular colors White and black.
you can see it here if you look close.

12143271_888021834620601_8353327482984640273_n.jpg

I say front-mount the LEDs, and put in an extra circuit powered by an Arduino board to make them chase each other and show patterns- maybe pulse with volume...

:evil4:

May not work for certain styles of music.

Geekydad said:
I say front-mount the LEDs, and put in an extra circuit powered by an Arduino board to make them chase each other and show patterns- maybe pulse with volume...

:evil4:

May not work for certain styles of music.

A possibility for our next charity theme build which will be a time machine bass, complete with flux capacitor.  :)

Back