Trouble shooting wiring job

GoDrex

I did some wiring last night. 2 vol, 2 tone, 3 way switch.

Everything works fine except that the neck pickup volume and tone don't do anything. The bridge ones work fine. The 3 way switch works correctly. This tells me that the pickup signal is going to the switch and to the output jack - but isn't being affected by the volume or tone pots. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring. It looks identical to me. Any ideas?

Sounds like the bridge volume and tone controls work on the bridge pickup, but when you swithc to the neck pickup, it's "full on"?

Maybe you have the leads to the wrong lug of the pots?

Post pics. :glasses9:

+1

You've not grounded something somewhere, so there is nowhere for the signal to go, other than the output jack.  Have you got the ground link wire from the Bridge control set, to the Neck control set. 
I missed that when I re-wired my Epi LP the other week.  Took me ages to find it.  It's something simple. 
Photo's and a diagram that you were following will help.

you said everything works fine except the neck volume and tone do nothing, does that mean the neck pup has no sound? is it full volume, full tone? no volume no...of course no tone.

If you have a volume and tone for each pup, then that should all happen before the switch, so if the bridge works, then just do the same for the neck pup, unless your bridge is after the switch, in witch case I haven't a clue as to what you did

MUYFUE said:
Sounds like the bridge volume and tone controls work on the bridge pickup, but when you swithc to the neck pickup, it's "full on"?

Yeah

It turns out that Jim is right - it's a grounding problem. I got it working ok, but need to redo part of it. Thanks for the help.

Youre wiring in your Bare Knuckle and the Duncan right?
Hahaha.  I did the same thing when I put my BK's in.

Yeah I've been using them and they sound great - - even though my VHII is clearly not as hot as a bridge version, it still sounds great. I think the SD '78 is the best sounding neck pickup I've tried. I couldn't resist picking these up because by luck I found them around the same time and they're both double cream, which is not as easy to find. The look great as well and sound great.

well I knew I would - the VHII is bright, which is what I need, and uses an A5 magnet, which is what I like for a bridge pickup in this guitar. The surprise for me is the '78 with an A2 - I thought it might not be bright enough but it sounds killer. I rarely use the neck position, but this one is making me try it out more often.

Back