Universal?

Pelagaard

Is there any practical/functional reason to not go for the universal route on a top routed Strat? I can understand wanting to make a something historically accurate, but, barring that, the universal route seems like the best way to go.

No argument from me.  But then again, I'm not a "strat guy" ... so what do I know?  :eek:ccasion14:

Is there any practical/functional reason to not go for the universal route on a top routed Strat? I can understand wanting to make a something historically accurate, but, barring that, the universal route seems like the best way to go.

And if I don't like pickguards? Then what? Does an open hole have more tone than wood? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons I haven't listed here....

My problem with your post is BEST. There is no BEST. There is only what you like and how it works for you. Because anything provably BEST means nothing else will do. And since our differences is what makes life interesting, if it was all BEST - none of it would be, would it? BEST would be average. Back to boring.

I kind of like the standard Strat route because of the endorphin rush that comes from finally managing to get the pickguard in place without all the blasted wires getting in the way...

On a top route, I prefer the uni-route.
Allows you to swap out pre-loaded pickguards for various applications.
I like the idea of having multiple pickguard configurations ready when having multiple actual Strats in the arsenal is impractical.

I get the universal route on all my Strats. It makes pickguard removal easier, and gives you options for pickups. Anyone who says it affects the "tone" is clueless.

I like a universal rout unless there's a reason to not have one, like with a rear routed body. It's nice to have the option to change pickups in the future.

AirCap said:
Anyone who says it affects the "tone" is clueless.

So... centuries of knowledge argue with you. Who is right?

What "centuries of knowledge"???

We are talking about a miniscule amount of wood on an electric guitar body.

To answer your question: I am right.

Street Avenger said:
stratamania said:
I personally prefer a rout that maintains structural integrity between the pickups.
What "structural integrity"?
The pickups are mounted to the pickguard.

Nothing to do with what the pickups are mounted to.

The structural integrity of the body wood itself...I see no point in removing more of it than needed just for the sake of it. Again it is a choice.

stratamania said:
I personally prefer a rout that maintains structural integrity between the pickups.

That’s a good point, especially when using a 2-point trem. The Universal Route removes a lot of the “meat” that would otherwise exist between the studs and the route.

My mom loved to move furniture around. Dad always threatened to cut out square in the carpet where the legs went, to lessen the temptation to rearrange every other year (or more often. Sometimes far more often.)

Of course, routing for S/S/S only reduces the kinds of pickups you can swap around.

-VB- said:
stratamania said:

That’s a good point, especially when using a 2-point trem. The Universal Route removes a lot of the “meat” that would otherwise exist between the studs and the route.

Bullony.
It's a miniscule amount of wood.
Show me one Strat body that has ever lost its structural integrity from a universal route.

stratamania said:
Street Avenger said:
stratamania said:

The structural integrity of the body wood itself...I see no point in removing more of it than needed just for the sake of it. Again it is a choice.
I never suggested doing it "just for the sake of it". I suggested it for easier removal of the pickguard when electronic maintenance is needed, AND for more pickup options. It's a tiny amount of wood that serves no useful purpose.

Street Avenger said:
stratamania said:
Street Avenger said:
stratamania said:

I never suggested doing it "just for the sake of it". I suggested it for easier removal of the pickguard when electronic maintenance is needed, AND for more pickup options. It's a tiny amount of wood that serves no useful purpose.

I did not say that you did. If you have a reason to do it and that wood is not useful to you there is nobody stopping you or anyone else from doing so.

My preference is not to do so and I am certainly not going to argue about it.

Some folks are mighty testy on this topic.  I would suggest there's a difference of opinion that need not elicit so much vitriol.  Preferences are preferences.  I might as well get snotty with someone because they like celery chunks in their tuna salad.  I mean, *I* would turn it down if offered, but I wouldn't suggest the folks who like that kind of thing are somehow *wrong*.

Back