Walnut or figured walnut?

Dolando

Hey,

I'd like a walnut top like the gecko pictured below, does anyone know if this is what you get when ordering a normal walnut top, or is the a result of a unique choice?

Figured walnut isn't an option on the body builder, so maybe someone could tell me if it ever was?

Or if you have a picture of your standard walnut top, that would also be a great help.

Thanks,

Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 500
I can tell you this much: that's not a normal Walnut top.

I don't think I've ever seen figured Walnut as a builder choice, so that has to be a "Unique Choice" piece. And I must say, that's a pretty unique piece. You rarely see figured Walnut, especially something that dramatic.

Actually, it sorta looks more like Koa than Walnut, and I've seen a lot more of that figured. But, I could be wrong.

Well at least I know that isn't normal for walnut. And according to the guy...or girl I suppose, it's definitely figured walnut. Looks nice either way. If you look in the warmoth gallery there's a few on there with similar figuring.

I basically i can't settle on a laminate top. I love flame Koa, but its out of budget, and not sure if I like the standard Koa...and possibly think Indian rosewood is a little too dark!injust don't know what I want! Haha

I've seen some really nice Pau Ferro tops, but those might be a bit pricey, too. Worth a look, though.

Cagey said:
I've seen some really nice Pau Ferro tops, but those might be a bit pricey, too. Worth a look, though.

Yea that's quite nice, my girlfriend says "that's how I want our wood floor to look" haha :)

I quite like the cocobolo too they have. (Attached) t's an extra $150, might try stretch to that, if I can't find what I want. Keep toying with flame maple...

line6man said:
That's obviously figured, because it has curl.

Plain walnut wood looks like this:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/colorandwoodguide/images/large/walnut.html

Yea that's the walnut I thought it would be, which is great for a core wood but would like something a little more interesting for the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 383
Found the original post, it is indeed walnut. It's finished in tru-oil.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/warmoth-owners-club-441393/index5.html

Quick question, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but, can you be patient a little longer and save up a little more money to get exactly what you want? I mean, let's be real here, if you're going to do this then there is no reason to half ass it. If you can't afford exactly what you want right now then set that money aside and wait until there's more there.
MULLY

ThtOthrPrsn said:
I may be wrong, but that seems like Claro Walnut to me. :dontknow:

You may be right...from a google search it looks very similar.

mullyman said:
Quick question, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but, can you be patient a little longer and save up a little more money to get exactly what you want? I mean, let's be real here, if you're going to do this then there is no reason to half ass it. If you can't afford exactly what you want right now then set that money aside and wait until there's more there.
MULLY

I totally understand where your coming from, and believe me ill debate with myself to the hills before I order something, so won't be ordering until I'm 100% happy with it, and if that means waiting for a bit more cash the so be it. The problem is, I'm still trying to work out what I want. :) I started by saying ill do something basic like alder or swamp ash with a maple neck end ebony fingerboard but that seems to have escalated some what....haha. ;)

Back