What steaming pile of sacrilegious butchery is this?

That's actually a pretty cool idea. What are you planning to actuate with the piano keys? MIDI or similar?
That'll hit piezo sensors, which'll be hooked up to analog inputs on a microprocessor. That'll then send midi over wifi to the laptop where the actual sounds are. I've actually done all that before in my travels. So it's the least likely thing to block me. I even have a virtual midi device in software that Logic Pro sees and works with. I'll probably use a micro like the ESP32 that has wifi built in. Just add more inputs really. And write the code.

Before I got an FM9, I was using this midi controller I built to run an Axefx2. So I've been playing around with microcontrollers and MIDI for years now.

Any chance of posting your video other than on X?

Yup... this is the original rez. It's a personal server that not all ISP's like. YMMV.

You should also put in a looper so you can insert either a drum, bass and / or a keyboard loop, then play the guitar over it.

Is this going to be used as part of a stand up routine by chance?

No. I don't do stand up.

While I wait for parts to arrive. I figured the running total cost... $1074A! Argh... that shot up quickly. The biggest issue I can see right now to moving the project forward is cutting the keyboard shelf off the body without cutting all the way through. The vertical cut is going to be relatively easy, in that any table saw set the right depth will work. The horizontal cut in from half way up the side... not so much! In that it's too deep for a table saw (115mm!) and they'd need to be a jig to hold everything level.

That said my current plan is to make the cut to whatever depth the table saw / blade can handle and then use a (TBD) hand saw of some type to finish it off.

I'm thinking of getting a very fine kerf blade for those cuts so that I don't lose too much material. A 1.6mm cut is fine, but 2.3mm+ is a bit much. But then I have to find a hand saw of a suitable length and thickness to match. I may end up spending a bunch on tools I only use once or twice. Hmmm.

I need to watch the video. But how about cutting off the top section, planing it for the desired relief, then reattaching it using some spacers ?

Have you thought about getting a small MIDI keyboard and cannibalizing it for the keys and electronics to put or graft into your project?

A router would make a very accurate keyboard shelf, you just need to build a jig for it and take it down in several small passes until you hit the final depth

also they have small keyboards. I'd just cut out enough and install one of those

I need to watch the video. But how about cutting off the top section, planing it for the desired relief, then reattaching it using some spacers ?

That is actually not a bad idea. I do like the structural integrity of having uncut wood supporting everything. But if it gets "too hard" I'll do that.

Have you thought about getting a small MIDI keyboard and cannibalizing it for the keys and electronics to put or graft into your project?

Yes I have. I may still go that route...

also they have small keyboards. I'd just cut out enough and install one of those

I want the wood of the body to be the keys. Like it's part of the guitar... not an add on. People have done that already. But making the keys out of the body itself is (somewhat?) new. I still have to take into account that the grain of the wood won't be running along the key.... but across it. And I'll need to reinforce it for strength.

And another thing... I'm planning to laser etch the body before I stain and cut it up. So the design will extend over the keys area and all the grain will still match after.

Ha sometimes I make a rod for my own back.

Yep, I'd invest in a router and fabricate a jig for it (typical router table "not gonna cut it") :)
BTW Bosch makes some very nice little router kits for the money...

Yep, I'd invest in a router and fabricate a jig for it (typical router table "not gonna cut it") :)
BTW Bosch makes some very nice little router kits for the money...

I can't route it out... I need the wood and design etched on it for the keys. Unless I misunderstanding what you mean?

I can't route it out... I need the wood and design etched on it for the keys. Unless I misunderstanding what you mean?
No, I missed that part... You will need access to a nice big bandsaw instead! ( And build a jig to hold the body straight while doing your cuts)

Back