what to expect on custom body/neck orders?

rahimiiii

I noticed there are certain price points when specifying flame or quilted maple tops or necks... but I often see that bodies/neck with any useable flame goes for much higher than specifying them in custom order... so if I order a flame maple neck (not AAA) then how much flame should I expect? how about on flame/quilted maple top?

less than AAA flame and more than a neck with no flame........ :icon_scratch:  I would go with the showcase if there is a specific look your expecting, that or pay the upcharge and hope for the best like the rest of us......

I like the showcase stuff, one thing I noticed with my birdseye maple neck is that the swirling grain is FAR more pronounced when you have it in your hands than when it was on the Showcase pictures.

It only cost me 40 bucks more than a standard maple neck too.

I have to agree with Solo , my showcase birdsye maple necks look better in person than the pics.

What I did was use the search criteria at the left to get a few necks to look at, ie 1 11/16 nut, figured maple etc...

Then study closely the pics to find the ones I liked, I am extremely happy with all my showcase purchases

Keep in mind that the way they do the stock pix in the Showcase doesn't always make the flame show up as well as it could. I've never ordered a flame/birdseye neck custom, but I would suspect if you look the differentiation of the std. priced vs. the premium priced necks on the showcase it would give you some guideline to go by, typically the flaming will not be as pronounced or be as uniform through the neck.

I think most of the really premium pieces of flame/birdseye wind up in the Showcase at uber premium pricing which they WILL command.

Also, be sure to check the web "specials" and the category of neck wood you're looking for every day. I've picked up a couple of AAA/AAA+ necks from Warmoth really cheap (one was $125 the other "as maple" for $157) do to some very minor flaws - one had a tiny sanding burn on the underside of the peghead and the guy that burns the "Warmoth Radius" came back from lunch stoned on the other one cause the brand was a little off and you could just see the edge of the "s" peeping past the neck pocket.

Additionally, you can sometimes find deals on what I guess are returns, as they are already fretted/nutted. You have to check constantly as any kind of deal on the website doesn't last very long....

Yea but its so hard to decide on whether to get flame neck or AAA flame... I mean I know AAA flame is better looking but I am just not sure how much better since it's like 100 dollars more... I seen quilted maple top bodies that goes for higher than just getting one custom made so I am just wondering what to expect that's all... if I told them what I wanted will they be able to select one for me?

rahimiiii said:
Yea but its so hard to decide on whether to get flame neck or AAA flame... I mean I know AAA flame is better looking but I am just not sure how much better since it's like 100 dollars more... I seen quilted maple top bodies that goes for higher than just getting one custom made so I am just wondering what to expect that's all... if I told them what I wanted will they be able to select one for me?

There will be an upcharge if you ask for a 'select' piece but it's only reasonable. I have done it on a number of occasions and have always been more than happy with the results. Of course it depends on what you want and if they have the right piece of wood but it never hurts to ask.

Back