Wood mounted humbuckers in routes for not wood mounted humbuckers...doable?

rauchman

Greetings,

Is it possible to do a wood mounted humbucker pickup in a route that was cut for a standard pickguard/pickup ring? Have no idea what's involved here and would greatly appreciate info on how to accomplish this.

Danke!!!!

I posted some info in this thread:

Ill copy it here for you

The only way to direct mount that humbucker without a ring is to make a small filler block or use something like the PMS system from FU-Tone.

The other route they offer is called "wood-mount" and doesnt have those recesses. If your body has that then you can directly mount them in to the wood.

As for the actual process, I use these screws from Allparts:

They are a #3 screw which will have a tight fit into the humbucker mounting holes but will not damage the threads preventing them from being used in a ring or pickguard later. I also use the same screws for the single coils.

For height adjustment, I use foam weatherstripping that comes on a roll. Its 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick and I simply place a small section under the pickup.

On my baritone build I used the mounting method where you screw a humbucker baseplate to the bottom of the pickup cavity like a "faux-Fu Tone"

I posted some info in this thread:

Ill copy it here for you
Terrific info....thanks!

On my baritone build I used the mounting method where you screw a humbucker baseplate to the bottom of the pickup cavity like a "faux-Fu Tone"

I looked at the "faux-Fu Tone", and it seems all they offer is brass, which I'm not a huge fan of. Anyone know of a steel humbucker base plate?

Back