You know what sucks?

dudesweet157

When you've got a bid in on eBay for something you really want, you're the high bidder with just an hour left and a $30 buffer in your max bid, you are pretty sure you are going to win the item you desire, but you have to go to work.  So you go to work, and all you can think about is the auction and after work you break all the speed limits on the way home to check the auction just to find that you lost the auction in the final 5 minutes to a couple of douchebags that bidded up the price to $20 over your max bid and after shipping, just 10 bucks cheaper than a new one.  I don't know if it was the seller and his friends artificially inflating the price or just a couple of dumbasses, but I'm really pissed...

rant off/]  Just needed to vent a little.

-David

Yep hear ya - that's called "sniping".

You gotta keep your eyes peeled to the auction during the final minutes, because
everything else that happens before those minutes is of no consequence.

I get that, but what's the point of buying used if you can get a new one, free of wear and tear, with full warranty for just 10 bucks more?

dudesweet157 said:
I get that, but what's the point of buying used if you can get a new one, free of wear and tear, with full warranty for just 10 bucks more?

True.  I avoid FleaBay now; actually have been avoiding since about '06.

eBay sniping drives me to insane rage.  I think anyone that does it should be sniped down!

$20 in the last 5 minutes? That's nothing. I'm talking about getting outbid by a couple of cents at the very last second. Angers me like nothing else can! :sad:

dudesweet157 said:
So you go to work, and all you can think about is the auction and after work you break all the speed limits on the way home to check the auction

Where is your iPhone? :icon_scratch:

I don't have an iPhone, just a regular talk/text without a data plan, and where I work I can't use it anyway.

And it was a $50 swing in 5 minutes.  My current bid was $30 under my max bid.  They went $20 over my max bid.

It never ceases to amaze how much people are willing to pay for stuff.

The sniping doesn't really bother me though. I know only the last few minutes matter, so I don't even bother to worry about the earlier, lower bids.

And once I decide my maximum bid, I can't get upset if someone goes above my "maximum", even with only 2 seconds left. I think the people who get upset by sniping don't understand (deep down inside) the concept of "maximum bid". But that's the psychological nature of auctions - it causes people to bid above their "maximum" when under the stress of the auction ending. Sniping actually prevents them from paying more than they originally wanted to.

If somebody snipes me in the last few seconds, it just means they're willing to pay more than I thought the item was worth, nothing more.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If something is worth $X used (to me), that's it. It's what I bid. If it's worth more than that to somebody else, let 'em have it. I'm not going to pay too much for something just to say I got it. Where's the win there? Especially since you're already dealing with an unknown entity that may turn around to bite you in the ass somehow, either between the seller being less-than-honest or UPS using your new widget as a chew toy.

I'm constantly amazed at what people will pay for some things, often approaching or exceeding what they could get the thing for new from a local supplier several days earlier. Haven't any of these people ever heard of Google? You can do a ton of research on an item, as well as find suppliers of all kinds.

Cagey said:
I'm constantly amazed at what people will pay for some things, often approaching or exceeding what they could get the thing for new from a local supplier several days earlier. Haven't any of these people ever heard of Google? You can do a ton of research on an item, as well as find suppliers of all kinds.

I was bidding on a CD the other week, and the auction ended at like $5.
The winner could have just bought the CD on Amazon for $3...

dudesweet157 said:
When you've got a bid in on eBay for something you really want, you're the high bidder with just an hour left and a $30 buffer in your max bid, you are pretty sure you are going to win the item you desire, but you have to go to work.  So you go to work, and all you can think about is the auction and after work you break all the speed limits on the way home to check the auction just to find that you lost the auction in the final 5 minutes to a couple of douchebags that bidded up the price to $20 over your max bid and after shipping, just 10 bucks cheaper than a new one.  I don't know if it was the seller and his friends artificially inflating the price or just a couple of dumbasses, but I'm really pissed...

-David

I dont do "bid" items on ebay, its just full of shilling.  How about this scenario.  You bid on an item, and it is outbid by someone, at the very last second (literally) by $30 or $40.  Two days later, they offer you the a second chance at the higher price, not your last bid price.  Totally insane. 

I only do BIN, or will bid on oddball items that are  both inexpensive and obscure.

dudesweet157 said:

-David
that's what smartphones are for...I've won many a bid at work....
33658741-2-440-FT-2.jpg

AutoBat said:
Buy It Now is my best friend.

No, Buy It Now Or Best Offer is your best friend!

For example, a seller wanted $14 for a CD and accepted my $8 offer... :icon_biggrin:

line6man said:
AutoBat said:
Buy It Now is my best friend.

No, Buy It Now Or Best Offer is your best friend!

For example, a seller wanted $14 for a CD and accepted my $8 offer... :icon_biggrin:
I've use the best offer button several times and came away with some really good deals... :icon_biggrin:

I've bid on many boxes of cigars from reputable auction houses and it amazes me why someone would bid up to RETAIL on an item and then have to pay more in shipping than their local sales tax...and they can still buy it cheaper on the internet from reputable sources and usually negotiate free shipping.  Typically, I will bid no higher then 15% less then the cheapest internet price I can find and if someone wants to pay more, let them have it.

Back