Your Thoughts Please

intrusted

Greetings,
  The next Gecko 6 will be ordered next week. This is the woods I am almost settled on. I am looking for your input Ya or Na, plus anything you would change.
  1st option: Mahogany body with Camphor Burl top, Neck would be Bubinga with Pau Ferro fret board.
  2nd option: Mahogany Body with Burl Maple top, Neck would be Bubinga with Pau Ferro fret board.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Man, it sounds like ya got it narrowed down pretty good already!  :laughing7:

I vote maple top. -SS frets if you're getting frets; fretless with no lines or face inlays would be my suggestion over that.

Can't wait to see 'er come together!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks Day-mun,
  I would prefer the Maple top also, but, I was told a couple weeks ago that may not be an option. Simple reason is the Gecko 6 is a large body and it takes more wood to do the top.  As for the frets it will be stainless steel for sure, if I go with frets. Been real eager to try a fretless idea for several years now just cant seem to convince myself of pulling the trigger.
  Thanks for your input.

There is not much to say. It's your bass, so get what looks good to you, not what looks good to other people.

Ok,
Pretty much looks like I am back to square one again. Just got off the phone with them.
Burl Maple top, no go  Bubinga neck shaft wood no go.
They will do the Mahogany Body with Camphor burl, BUT the neck has to be either Wenge or Maple as off this time.
So I guess I am back to square one so to say.
  KorinaKrazy sounds like you have had some experience with the Wenge, If you could or anybody else, Please enlighten me on this wood?
Thanks

Wenge is really pretty neat. It requires no finish. It has a unique texture (very open grain) that really reduces the surface area that touches your fretting hand and thumb and feels "fast"; less surface area=less friction. It is like a satin finish that occurs naturally in the wood. -Very cool, and the color (coffee brown with black streaks) is absoluely delicious to look at. Lotsa guys couple this shaft wood with ebony... The one I owned breifly (-don't ask; it's a sad story) was this way and I liked it a lot.

Don't be afraid to go fretless! A smooth 'board with flat-wound strings just can't be beat! W's unlined fretless necks  have the side dots moved over to be alligned with the third, fifth, seventh, nineth, etc. positions; line your finger up with the side dot (or between them for those half-steps), press the string to wood, and you're on pitch, -simple as that. I'm so used to 'em I don't really look anymore; the intervals and distances are all stored in the muscle-memory. W's lined fretless' are great too, the inlay work is razor-edge perfect.

There's a J-bass unlined fretless maple/rosewood in the showcase right now for $180, BN5150 I think. -One could snag that, spray 'er with some satin poly and throw it on a J or P that's layin' around to try the fretless thing out, -if one were so inclined.  :evil4:

intrusted, didja see this?

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Shape=43&Path=Gecko,6String&i=gn270#.U3aF1tJdW0c

-Bodda-buh-bing-ah!

Day-mun,
  That is sweet. The ebony board is cool looking. Hopefully it sticks around for a few. You also convinced me to try fretless. Thanks for the link and input to this tread.

Back