Ebony on ebony neck

Aria

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and also to putting together my own guitar.

I was thinking of doing an ebony on ebony neck . . . any thoughts on this? Warmoth said it would have to be a custom order . . . Starting at $850 (for real ebony from Africa, not South American so called "ebony").

Also, since Black Friday is coming up, does anyone know if Warmoth has sales for this occasion usually? There are a number of pre-built bodies that look sweet.

Best,
Ash

Warmoth has only had 2 sales in the last 30 years, since last year had one it's unlikely to see another one so soon.

AFAIK, they are never any discounts/"sales" on custom orders.

Check the "Screaming Deals" sections for discounts.

If you've purchased from Warmoth before and are signed in, you'll see pricing on many items labeled "Your" Showcase price, not sure if that pricing is shown if you're not logged or have never purchased from Warmoth before...

A solid Ebony neck will be very heavy and very bright. I would consider warmer body wood, pickup and hardware choices to balance things out.

There was 3 of them in the showcase a couple months back, I think they were just a little over $500. Kinda pissed me off a bit 'cause i had called to see about ordering one for my aluminum strat body, was told that it's rare to get a chunk big enough and it would be $$$$$$$$. So I got something else, and a week later 2 or 3 showed up in the showcase... :laughing8:

PS. there's 7 of them in the showcase right now...4 strat and 3 tele.. :doh:

It's great for fretboards, but I wouldn't use it for a neck .  The only real legal ebony left is in Gaboon , and the operation is owned by Taylor .
It's a very limited supply .  I'd agree with the heavy and bright ..

I'll just pile on and reinforce what's been said...

Ebony would make for a very heavy neck. Closest thing to it they sell regularly is probably Satine (Bloodwood), but it's that way as well. Feels like Ebony, weighs like it, but it's dark red. Still, if it would look good with your body finish, I'd highly recommend it.

I've never seen an Ebony tree, but my understanding is that the way they grow makes it very difficult to get usable pieces large enough to make a neck. It's a very gnarly thing. Think of crab apple trees. As a result, they're very expensive.

It's an exceptionally hard/brittle wood, so as a neck it would be super-bright.

It's one of those woods that produce toxic dust, so few people want to work with it. It's also hard on tools, and the price reflects that.

If you want a really badass neck, get a Bloodwood part with an Ebony 'board. The only thing that compares is a Pau Ferro part with an Ebony 'board. Either way - pure sex. Or, wait for Warmoth to pop a couple all-Ebony necks up. The get an urge once in a while, and they usually go for about $600. I'd like to own one before I die, just to say I did. Ain't nothin' like a really dense raw neck.

Cagey said:

Ebony would make for a very heavy neck. Closest thing to it they sell regularly is probably Satine (Bloodwood), but it's that way as well. Feels like Ebony, weighs like it, but it's dark red. Still, if it would look good with your body finish, I'd highly recommend it.

I've never seen an Ebony tree, but my understanding is that the way they grow makes it very difficult to get usable pieces large enough to make a neck. It's a very gnarly thing. Think of crab apple trees. As a result, they're very expensive.

It's one of those woods that produce toxic dust, so few people want to work with it. It's also hard on tools, and the price reflects that.

If you want a really badass neck, get a Bloodwood part with an Ebony 'board. The only thing that compares is a Pau Ferro part with an Ebony 'board. Either way - pure sex. Or, wait for Warmoth to pop a couple all-Ebony necks up. The get an urge once in a while, and they usually go for about $600. I'd like to own one before I die, just to say I did. Ain't nothin' like a really dense raw neck.
Like I said previously Cagey, here are 7 up for grabs right now...4 strat neck and 3 tele necks...ALL EBONY... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Like I said previously Cagey, here are 7 up for grabs right now...4 strat neck and 3 tele necks...ALL EBONY... :icon_biggrin:

But the OP has expressed a distaste for species other than Gaboon. Those necks are an unspecified species from South America.

Well, I guess you take what you can get...or don't... :dontknow:

And the ebony that is described on the website comes from India, not south America.. :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Well, I guess you take what you can get...or don't... :dontknow:

And the ebony that is described on the website comes from India, not south America.. :dontknow:

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with the species Warmoth uses, anyway. I'd snatch up one of the showcase necks.

They clearly say South American Ebony in the listings.

DangerousR6 said:

Right, I forgot to reinforce that point along with the rest.

I wish they'd just announce a special once in a while that said "we're ready to make a few of these... get 'em while the gettin's good" and let a few people order what they'd like. For what they cost, they need to be exactly what one would want, not some statistical model that's relatively close. I mean, I'm not going to pay $550 for a neck that has MOP inlays or some profile/nut width I'd rather not get used to. I've paid more than that for a couple of my necks, but they were exactly what I wanted. And I was probably drunk <grin>

Maybe they just want to show off once in a while. It's not that they can't/won't do certain things, but that they're skittish about offering to do it regularly or reliably. The Ebony neck meat is a good example. They can't offer that as a build option because chunks of Ebony large enough to make necks out of aren't common. Although, in that case it may be more of a money thing. I mean, they're clearly getting a good enough supply of the stuff in sizes they can make fretboards out of that they offer those all the time, but you can make 5 or 6 expensive fretboards from the same chunk you'd need to make one neck. That's the whole principle behind veneers. Why sell one solid chunk of Walnut when you can sell 6 chunks that look like Walnut?

But, there are other examples of selective offerings. For instance, you can't order Goncalo Alves in a tilt-back neck, but they put those up every once in a while. You can't order Maple fretboards on anything but Maple necks, but they'll put those up every once in a while. Maybe it takes extra time for some reason, so they only do stuff like that when the shop gets light.

Who knows? I don't suppose they want to give away all their operational secrets.

In my dealings with them, the thing they do best is custom builds and put stuff in the showcase.  They seem to be quite efficient at that.  If you call and want to know where something is anywhere in the middle of the process between before you ordered it and when it arrives at your door, good luck.  The right hand does not often know what the left hand is doing.  Refer to my, "It can't be repaired, now it's in the screaming deals and we didn't tell you" scenario from 6 months ago.  When R6 called wanting one, they said not probable, meanwhile they were being made at that moment.   

Judging by the pictures I've seen, I'm surprised anybody gets what they ordered at all, let alone have any special treatment of it. Pallets full of bodies stacked like cordwood... partitioned boxes fulla necks... and somebody wants to know the status of one of them? Phbbt. Gimme a break. If I was one of the sales guys, I'd be tempted to tell callers that the order goes into a black hole and magically comes back out in 8 to 10 weeks with a body or neck attached. Nothing is known about them in the interim. Let the shop have its head. Somehow, they're able to keep track of what they're doing and get it done, so don't throw sand in the gears.

That's essentially what happens.  Lol.

My other frustration comes from ordering secret menu items only to be told it's not possible, hang up, call back, get a different guy that says no problem.  Then again, what place doesn't do that?

So, I started bugging Rob and the boys back in September of last year for a ebony on ebony neck! I was told that it was difficult to get an ebony blank that was of size and quality need to make a neck, but that occassionally they got some in. They suggested I check back with them every month or so to see if they had gotten any in. So, I have been doing so pretty religiously when Rob contacted me this past September to let me know they had gotten some in. They put me together with a very helpful guy in production to finalize the details and 2 days ago this arrived at my door!
DSC_001.jpg

DSC_002.jpg

DSC_003-1.jpg

DSC_004-1.jpg

DSC_005-1.jpg

DSC_006-1.jpg

It's a one piece, warhead, vintage modern construction with Pau Ferro skunk strip and plug, 59 roundback, SS6150 frets and weighs in at 730g or about 1.6 lbs. I could have gone standard thin and probably shaved a few ounces off, but I honestly don't think it will be a problem! But, what a pain it was to photograph! :eek: The grain moves with the light so bad you just can't judge how well it is going to show up before you take the shot.  :dontknow:

Inspite the bad photography, I think you can judge the looks for yourselves. But, I can tell you that I'm afraid to play with it in public cause I might get arrested for indecency!!!
teu87.gif
It's every bit as hot as it looks!!!
teu42.gif

So, I just wanted to let you know that some times wishes do come true..., but you're still probably never going to have a neck as nice as mine!!  :evil4:  I can gloat just a little bit can't I? :toothy12:
269.gif

Back