Ebony on ebony neck

dog-is-amazed-20799.jpg

Lust. Envy. Greed. Gluttony. I'm going to hell for sure. That is one super-fine piece of neck meat.

I got Pau on my last neck...I LOVE IT!  Kinda caught between ebony and rosewood...

Thanks All! As the folks at McDingleberrys say, "I'm lovin it!" :guitarplayer2:
Now I just got to decide what color to do the body I'm putting with it!! But, we'll save that for a different string I'll start later.

@ Jumble - Unfortunately those pictures were taken with a top of the line SLR! I'm not a pro for certain, but I'm tellin ya, that neck was a real pain to photograph!  :laughing7:

Patrick from Davis said:
I have one of those Macassar ones, and yup, they are dandy.  Heavy, slick, and very articulate.  Fun, fun.
Patrick

Fire_Dye_Tele_Macassar_Ebony_Neck-Small.jpg
Ohhhh, and I see you have a blank neck plate...For shame.... :doh:

I've handled the eb/eb necks when I worked there, they were very heavy, so be sure what you want tone wise and make sure you are absolutely sure.

Eb/Eb necks look great, but they are going to be extremely bright sounding, so you may consider a body wood that is conversely very warm in tone to compensate.

I use filters to get rid of frequencies I don't want, rather than squishy woods. I want the guitar itself to have as wide a frequency response as possible. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The low-pass filter on the guitar, multi-band boost/cut (graphic EQ) and parametric EQ on the amp/effects/mixer can work miracles.

Weight is an issue, though. It'd be interesting to know what a "Pro" series Ebony/Ebony neck with Schaller mini-lockers on it would weigh. The heaviest neck I have now is an Ebony over Bloodwood part - that weighs in at 2lbs, which is quite a bit for a guitar. Bloodwood's pretty dense, much like Ebony, so I don't imagine the Ebony would be too much heavier than that. Coupled with a body under 4lbs, the whole thing should still come in under 8lbs, which is tolerable.

In particular, excess treble is the easiest thing to get rid of. Just get a longer cable, for instance. Practically everything you do between the strings and the speakers comes at the expense of lost treble.

DangerousR6 said:
Patrick from Davis said:
I have one of those Macassar ones, and yup, they are dandy.  Heavy, slick, and very articulate.  Fun, fun.
Patrick

Fire_Dye_Tele_Macassar_Ebony_Neck-Small.jpg
Ohhhh, and I see you have a blank neck plate...For shame.... :doh:
That is true Doug, but I couldn't come up with something I likes for the plate, so I am waiting for inspiration.  Honestly, a Bender for a Bender was pretty darn easy...
Patrick

Ddbltrbl said:
Thanks All! As the folks at McDingleberrys say, "I'm lovin it!" :guitarplayer2:
WOW    what ever they say @ Mc............. looks like you got SUPERSIZED on grain I love
Lookin' @ MACASAR.

Thanks leo12, I am still lovin it! I actually am just about to post the details of the guitar I built around it. It is taking forever Due to being really busy at work over the past 6 months. I have it done, but need to take a few more pictures before I post it. Hopefully, I will have it up in the next day or so.

Like Tony said, it is bright and articulate, but I'm of the same mind as Cagey about it. So, I put it on an alder body with Zexcoil's Signature set and it really sounds great. I get an amazing range of tones out of it; everything from super bright to really warm.

Back