Warmoth Neck on Guitar Fetish body?

musicispeace

Has anyone combined a Warmoth neck and one of the finished Guitar Fetish bodies? How did that go?

There were other issues with the body BTW - wrong dimensions for the pickup routes, really soft wood, wrong hole for the side jack, etc.
In the end I got it done, but it was a lot of work + patience.

I haven't bought anything from gf, I would like to hear more, especially as to how it intonates.

GFS is hit or miss, Warmoth hits the bullseye every time.

I’ve seen misaligned ferrules, tight control cavities, neck pocket alignment issues, neck pocket depth issues, and other fit/finish issues on GFS bodies around the web. Nothing you couldn’t solve with a few tools and a copy of Erlewines guitar player repair guide, but… eh. Why massage a faulty body if you can guarantee a solid fit between Warmoth components?

Alternatively there are plenty of bodies on eBay with Mickey Mouse neck pockets that are the same price or cheaper… if you’re going to roll the dice at least shop around.

some of those bodies are just junk. wood so soft the neck plate will sink into the body once tightened

You get what you pay for. And GFS products are suspiciously cheap. Draw your conclusions from there.

I have bought 2 GFS "XGP" bodies that were "vintage spec" spoiler alert neither were vintage spec 🤦‍♂️

Another disappointment is that neither body had the neck mounting holes on center.

The tele body had the bridge and bridge pickup too far back and the strat hardtail had the string through holes in very odd place. the only bridge I could find that would match the spacing and distance from the nut was a Hipshot or the "modern hardtail" hipshot style bridge from allparts.

The wood was also not super soft on mine but it definitely was alder that was advertised.

They made workable guitars but not without a lot of headache.

I haven't purchased one, but have read they aren't all bad, however sometimes slight tweaks could be necessary. Truthfully, it isn't rocket science making a tele slab body. YMMV

I prefer warmoth necks and when I spend between 4 and 500 bucks on a custom neck I want it to intonate. I expect that the holes are precise, my 1st build was a $169 kit, including bridge, pickups, tuners, I upgraded everything and it ended up costing $850 complete, and I didn't have a warmoth neck.

I prefer warmoth necks and when I spend between 4 and 500 bucks on a custom neck I want it to intonate. I expect that the holes are precise, my 1st build was a $169 kit, including bridge, pickups, tuners, I upgraded everything and it ended up costing $850 complete, and I didn't have a warmoth neck.
I was yapping only about bodies.

I was yapping only about bodies
I say a cheap body is not guaranteed to sound great all up and down the neck. Holes in the wrong spot and you can't intonate, I have the upmost confidence in warmoth neck pocket to be perfect and the bridge placed precisely.

where I do skimp to save, $, I eliminate the binding and paint ,dyi. And I have found deals in the showroom that I have been able to justify, even snuck one in without telling.

i have a GF body with a Warmoth Tele neck on it and it's totally fine and went together with zero (0) hitches. it's soft and the paint and wood dent/chip easily so i probably wouldn't do it again, but it's totally fine and sounds plenty good

i have a GF body with a Warmoth Tele neck on it and it's totally fine and went together with zero (0) hitches. it's soft and the paint and wood dent/chip easily so i probably wouldn't do it again, but it's totally fine and sounds plenty good
My brain's order of translation for GF: first "Gluten Free", then "Girlfriend"... now added "Guitar Fetish".

My brain's order of translation for GF: first "Gluten Free", then "Girlfriend"... now added "Guitar Fetish".
yeah i mean a lotta people type GFS but why the S? literally nobody knows so i pretty much refuse to.

don't everybody call me a hero all at once, its just corporate branding

Back