It's been too long (Rosewood Thinline content) *NEW PICS ON PAGE 3*

dudesweet157

Been planning a Thinline build for almost a year now, but haven't been able to get it off the ground, when this baby fell into my lap.  It wasn't exactly what I had initially envisioned, but God, is it gorgeous!

BqEKdwBmkKGrHqUOKjUEuERutIBLuLnP3q_.jpg
\

I initially wanted a traditional Telecaster Thinline setup because I liked the look better, but after playing one this past weekend, I found the standard Telecaster control layout easier to play.

BqEOz5gWkKGrHqEOKiUEuZJ9o3fBLuLy7v7.jpg

It is Rosewood back and top.  Fender Nocaster bridge pickup, Kent Armstrong bucker in the neck.  Fender bridge and brass saddles.  I'll set it up with those for a while just to see how the intonation is, but more than likely, I'll ditch them in favor Callaham brass compensated saddles.

BqEM7dmkKGrHqYOKkYEubZzqh2BLuLtwPEQ.jpg

So now the only question is, what kind of neck should I slap on her?  I'm pretty set in stone on the playability specs: 1-5/8" nut, '59 roundback contour, SS6100 frets, but aesthetics are pretty much undecided.   I thought about going for the Rosewood/Rosewood combo to have one "none more rosy" for lack of a better term (my last name is Rose), but I've also though about going traditional with a Maple/Maple (figured) neck to create a nice contrast and preserve some of that Tele spank (this build is partly to scratch that twangy itch I've had since I started playing in a country band).  

Give me your thoughts and input.  I'm open  to all suggestions so long as they're not ridiculous (I will NOT put a Purpleheart/Satine neck on this beauty).

Cheers, and tell me what you think,
David

That is really nice!!
a rosewood neck is maybe a bit too obvious, but it would still be great!
personally I don't think that a maple neck would fit in with the exotic theme... but If you want to go for a nice contrast, canary/canary would be really nice!!!!

Marko said:
That is really nice!!
a rosewood neck is maybe a bit too obvious, but it would still be great!
personally I don't think that a maple neck would fit in with the exotic theme... but If you want to go for a nice contrast, canary/canary would be really nice!!!!
Agreed, all rosewood would be the obvious choice, but an all canary would be sweet.... :icon_thumright:

Canary back, Rosewood fingerboard, Rosewood peghead veneer.  :icon_thumright:

I would put this on it: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=TN2616&Body=1&Path=Neck

I think the all-ebony neck would look, feel, and sound totally amazing.  Plus, it's a pretty good price for all ebony.  And the MOP dots would probably look good with the reflective pickguard. 

That body looks awesome, I'm totally drooling.

Thanks Hannaugh, and that neck looks great, but I've got to have one with a little more meat to it.  I had a Standard Thin that I could barely play half and hour before my hand started cramping up, and it wasn't comfortable at all during that 30 minutes.  It's also a bit out of my price range.  This one is more than likely going to be a custom deal, so all options are on the table, but lets please try and keep it in the sub $400 range.

I really like the looks of this one, but it's got the Standard Thin contour and the 1-11/16" nut width, and I'm not a fan of either.
TN2677A.jpg

Maple/maple would look good, but maple fingerboards end up feeling weird right away and looking/feeling terrible in a few short years. Do maple neck meat, but a hard, complementary wood that doesn't need to be finished for the fingerboard. Maybe Pau Ferro?

dudesweet157 said:
Thanks Hannaugh, and that neck looks great, but I've got to have one with a little more meat to it.  I had a Standard Thin that I could barely play half and hour before my hand started cramping up, and it wasn't comfortable at all during that 30 minutes.  It's also a bit out of my price range.  This one is more than likely going to be a custom deal, so all options are on the table, but lets please try and keep it in the sub $400 range.

Aw, that's a shame cause it's a beautiful neck.  I think something darker than the rosewood would look really nice though.  Maybe wenge with an ebony fretboard?

Canary is very nice feeling.  I love my Strat neck. I think I'd have to see a photoshop mockup to be conviced that it would complement the rosewood well though, since it's usually pretty yellow.  If it were more in the goldish area rather than yellow it might work though. 

I agree with canary being a bit too yellow, and Doug, I don't think that Goncalo would work very well either.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a flamed maple neck/board.  I've got a temporary neck from a FSR Standard Ash Tele here so that I can play it while I wait for my new neck to ship (when I finally decide on it).

Either of those would be sweet, specially the birdseye....I love all BE maple.... :icon_thumright:

After looking at those pics I'm thinking Birdseye too!

*edited because I suck at reading.  AAA Birdseye is $120 more than standard flamed maple.*

dudesweet157 said:
After looking at those pics I'm thinking Birdseye too, especially since I can get the AAA stuff for just a Jackson more than standard grade flame maple.  :glasses10:
BE is so beautiful especially if just oiled... I have several all BE maples that I just coated with some gunstock oil...Like EB did on the EVH sig and the Axis.... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
dudesweet157 said:
After looking at those pics I'm thinking Birdseye too, especially since I can get the AAA stuff for just a Jackson more than standard grade flame maple.  :glasses10:
BE is so beautiful especially if just oiled... I have several all BE maples that I just coated with some gunstock oil...Like EB did on the EVH sig and the Axis.... :headbang1:

I've already got the Tru-oil to do it, I just need a neck!

I vote for flame.  If it were mine, I'd go dark.  But maple/rosewood is a tried and true combo.  Can't go wrong with that.  

I'[m torn between Wenge/Ebony and some variant of Maple/Maple.  I'd really like to go Rosewood/Rosewood, but I really can't justify dropping that kind of coin on a neck (+abolone dots, custom contour, and SS frets adds $70 to the total, which puts me over budget before we even talk about tuners).

Back