It's been too long (Rosewood Thinline content) *NEW PICS ON PAGE 3*

The design of the body is already a bit of a  departure from what a lot of folks have for Rosewood Teles (George Harrison lookalikes a fair bit), so thinking more outside of the 'safe' choice in an all Rosewood, I'd go for a very yummy flame maple or birdseye, like has been highlighted. Have it done in Vintage Gloss - or satin if that's your choice - to darken the maple, or Tru Oil it, if that is more your choice. But my preference would be to have it darkened a bit, would the Tru Oil do that?

Tonar8353 said:
That Birdseye is killing me.  Grab it!!!!!!!!!!!

I would Tonar, if the contour was right.  I just absolutely cannot deal with Warmoth's Standard Thin Contour, at least not with a 1-11/16" nut.  It's too wide and too thin to fill out my hand, and my thumb and wrist start to ache something fierce after just a few minutes of playing on it.  I've often wondered if with a 1-5/8" nut width if it would be better, but I don't have an odd $200 lying around to try it out.

dudesweet157 said:
Tonar8353 said:
That Birdseye is killing me.  Grab it!!!!!!!!!!!

I would Tonar, if the contour was right.  I just absolutely cannot deal with Warmoth's Standard Thin Contour, at least not with a 1-11/16" nut.  It's too wide and too thin to fill out my hand, and my thumb and wrist start to ache something fierce after just a few minutes of playing on it.  I've often wondered if with a 1-5/8" nut width if it would be better, but I don't have an odd $200 lying around to try it out.
I have both a 1-11/16 standard thin and a 1-5/8 standard thin, and I tend to like super thin necks like the wizard profile. But the 1-5/8 standard thin feels much better to me than the 1-11/16 standard thin.... :dontknow:

if you don't want the canary, go for pau ferro!! the twangy-est wood I have ever heard!

If I'd do Maple/Maple, I'd go qtr sawn on both neck and FB- it's got gorgeous and complex grain features and is inexpensive.  You prob won't hear many people agree with this.  I was in this boat until last night, when I decided to go qtr sawn with an ebony board for feel and maintenance's sake.  Just my .02uf.

I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and snagging this 1-5/8"/Standard Thin Birdseye neck.  If I could just get a grip on it, I'd be able to tell if it would work for me, and if I don't like it, I can just ship it back for just the shipping costs.  No harm done, right?  I'd much rather make a $20-30 mistake than a $200-300 mistake.

The neck in question
tn2782A.jpg

tn2782B.jpg

i totally would go for an all ebony neck. not only is beautiful, it will feel great, sound great, and look much more unique than any maple neck.
that being said, if you're going for maple get the birdseye. Is that showcase neck gonna be any cheaper than getting one made-to-order with the 59'er profile?

This one has the 59' profile, but is probably out of your budget.  Too bad because the figuring is insane.  It would look good.

vmt2280A.jpg

vmt2280B.jpg

dudesweet157 said:
I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and snagging this 1-5/8"/Standard Thin Birdseye neck.  If I could just get a grip on it, I'd be able to tell if it would work for me, and if I don't like it, I can just ship it back for just the shipping costs.  No harm done, right?  I'd much rather make a $20-30 mistake than a $200-300 mistake.

The neck in question
tn2782A.jpg

tn2782B.jpg
250px-porky_pig1.jpg

Ibidit..ibidit..ibidit..don't be a fool, y'idiot!
<grin>

That's a fine neck, but it's not the last piece of birdseye ever grown. By your own lights, it's too narrow and too thin. Why even mess around? If you can, wait until what you want shows up in the showcase - it almost certainly eventually will, because maple on maple for Teles is a very common call. Or, custom order it. But, don't compromise for expediency's sake. If you end up wanting a divorce from the thing, the resale value isn't very high. For as much as you'll lose starting over to do it right, it'd be cheaper to do it right the first time.

No, no, no.  I was talking about taking advantage of Warmoth's very nice return policy.  As long as I don't modify it in any way, I can return it within 10 days for a full refund minus shipping.  My biggest problem with the last Standard Thin was that is was too wide to be that thin, and it didn't really nestle in my hand very well.  With it held like I normally do (thumb over), there was about a quarter inch gap between the neck and the inside of my thumb and forefinger, which is not comfortable at all.  That's why I like bigger necks, they fill in that space, but I'm wondering if a narrower neck might accomplish the same thing, hence the debate.

hannaugh said:
This one has the 59' profile, but is probably out of your budget.  Too bad because the figuring is insane.  It would look good.

vmt2280A.jpg

vmt2280B.jpg

I seriously don't know what is going on with this neck. It is so amazing my brain is melting! 

This is one I would have to see in person... it almost looks as if it is......... ....... ......... ........ too much  :eek:

Marko said:
This is one I would have to see in person... it almost looks as if it is......... ....... ......... ........ too much  :eek:

It's just like the hotness of a girl, it's never TOO much :evil4:

I wonder how that would fit on a Strat body? Anybody put a Tele neck on a Strat? Why or why not?

Cagey said:
I wonder how that would fit on a Strat body? Anybody put a Tele neck on a Strat? Why or why not?
Tele neck won't work on a strat body, but a strat neck will fit on a tele body...

Damn. Well, it's not like that'll be the last excellent neck they make, so I guess I'll live.

NonsenseTele said:
Marko said:

Yeah, it's like looking at a well endowed woman and saying, "Her boobs are just too big!"

CrackedPepper said:
NonsenseTele said:
Marko said:

Yeah, it's like looking at a well endowed woman and saying, "Her boobs are just too big!"
Well, there is a limit for that. On most girls, once you get past DD, well, she's probably kinda of a large woman.

Back