Disappointed with this neck

DragonBiscuit

Ordered a strat neck with a wenge back, pau ferro fret board, graph-tec nut, and jumbo stainless frets.  It was supposed to have the wolfgang neck carve but they sent me a fatback instead. Also, the bevel on fret ends were started way too soon and I'm constantly pulling the high E string right off the neck (and I have a very light touch).

Very disappointed with this neck - I truly expected better after a long wait and $400... It looks pretty but that's about it.  I rarely play this strat now because of the aforementioned issues...

Oh well, can't win 'em all.   

Attachments

• Pau Ferro fret board.JPG
    Pau Ferro fret board.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 568
  • wenge headstock.JPG
    wenge headstock.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 345
  • wenge neck back.JPG
    wenge neck back.JPG
    760.2 KB · Views: 361
Frets look good to me best I can tell from the blurry photo, but if you were unhappy with the neck profile, you should have sent it back. :dontknow:

The install voids the return for other than defects.  The choice to drill tuners and bolt it to the body says you're fine with it.  The Fatback has no upcharge, whereas the Wolfgang does.  They should be able to refund the difference with an email of pics of dimensions. 

When you say the strings fall off the fretboard, is it the fret ends being too steep or a bridge spacing issue?  Is it by chance the vintage Strat hardtail?

Frets were definitely over-beveled - which I didn't notice until after installation.  This tends to happen with jumbos when they don't pay attention to QC... I also didn't notice the neck carve until after installation b/c I gave it straight to my luthier... Anyway, just wanted to speak my peace. The bridge is a wilkinson trem.  At this point the only real option is to re-fret which is a big expense and I don't know anyone around here actually capable of doing it. This wound have been a great guitar but it's going in the closet - maybe permanently.

Did it say the profile type on the heel? Should have said "WG" or "FB", -the Wolfgang is a little thicker profile; maybe it just feels different than what was expected... profile code on the heel is the only way to really know.

There is a "for sale" category on the forum; one man's junk is another's treasure... guess ya could reclaim a bit of the $ spent and give it another go  :dontknow:

I'll be giving this to my brother's kid and just chalk it up to a bad life experience.  I am done with Warmoth though... I'll never order anything else from them. This was just a trial run b/c I buy and have a lot of guitars built.  Anxiously awaiting a new Suhr Modern Koa, Carvin carve top, and Strandberg Boden 7.  I'll cheer up when they start to arrive  :cool01:

ss frets are like ice  so perhaps there is more movement than usual or that you are used to .

DragonBiscuit said:
I am done with Warmoth though... I'll never order anything else from them.  :cool01:

I hate to see you giving up on Warmoth.  Especially considering their customer service is impeccable.  :icon_thumright:
Everybody makes mistakes; we are human.  What matters is how a company reacts to their errors.  I have never known Warmoth to not take care of a problem when it arises.
Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...
Good luck &  :rock-on:

DavyDave53 said:
Don't give up without giving Warmoth the opportunity to set things straight.
+1  After many builds I can say Warmoth's service is impeccable! I have had a couple of issues, mostly minor, but either way Warmoth has always taken great care of me!!
:icon_thumright:

Agreed. It is sad that you are not satisfied with your neck, but it would be even more sad to leave things as they are and not give Warmoth a second chance.

On a side note, are you sure you got a Fatback? The shape of the back of the headstock as seen in the third picture suggests that the neck is significantly slimmer than a beefy fatback.

croquet hoop said:
Agreed. It is sad that you are not satisfied with your neck, but it would be even more sad to leave things as they are and not give Warmoth a second chance chance.

On a side note, are you sure you got a Fatback? The shape of the back of the headstock as seen in the third picture suggests that the neck is significantly slimmer than a beefy fatback.
I agree, looking at the fatbacks and the wolfgangs in the showcase,looks like a wolfgang to me. All the fatbacks i saw had significantly more material at the headstock as you say..

pabloman said:
You have a Luthier that can't do a refret?

There seems to be a tendency out in the world to call anybody who is willing to do things to a guitar that the owner can't/won't do a "luthier". 98% of the time, they're just techs, and in many cases that's overstating their abilities.

I could refret this neck, and it would be exemplary, but I'll tell y'all up front the fret bevel angle is gonna be ~35° just like Warmoth supplies them. That's the standard angle you bevel frets to. Even the tools you buy to do it are set to that point. Then, you dress them after the fact to smooth them out, which Warmoth doesn't do. It's too time-consuming, and not everyone cares.

I suspect the OP expected a fully dressed/polished fret job, and is disappointed because that's not what he got. Warmoth admits right in the verbiage somewhere that their necks aren't set up. There's no way for them to know what people want.

Though, I do ask Warmoth to give me straight-up fret ends. Because I want the "hotdog" ends - half a hemisphere - and I do it myself, and you can't get there from a 35 degree bevel. It's hard for Warmoth, because the majority of people are not going to attend to fret ends, so the majority of complaints might be that the frets are too sharp.

The fundamental issue is that Fender's bridge is too wide for Fender's neck width, once you add JUMBO + properly-dressed  fret ends. Warmoth does offer an extra-wide neck with an overhang at the sides of the pocket, but the nut's extra-wide too. Same with USA Custom's, which is an extra-wide butt, for which you need an extra-wide pocket. But the damn nut's too wide too, which wasn't the problem.

When Fender did their specs, nobody bent strings, and fret were .032" high before dressing. It's weird to realize that almost NO Americans had ever heard a bent string until 1965, when some few heard BB King's "Live at the Regal" and ever fewer heard Eric Clapton on the John Mayall "Beano" album. Eric was playing note-for-note steals of some Freddie King tunes - and Freddie had learned bending from BB King. And Fender's neck specs were standardized - FOURTEEN YEARS before that.

If you asked an electrical engineer what would be a good thing to hook together multi-thousand dollar electrical music devices - it'd be a long list before you got to 1/4" mono phone jacks. They're not nearly good enough to plug in your toaster or air-conditioner.

A few pickup manufacturers have tried putting three or four adjustment screws on humbuckers, two to a side - so you could adjust their angle without having to take them out and pile up little bits of foam underneath. They went broke... too much trouble to drill an extra hole in pickup rings.

For those kids who only know the fat sit-down BB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vpo7TYFQtc

Besides bending, he was only the 2nd guitar player* who's band's job was to play to him - guitarists used to be dirtbags, just stand next to the drummer and don't attract attention. Jimi and Duane and Jerry learned a hell of a lot there.

*(T-Bone Walker)

Sounds like the ramblings of a teenager if you ask me. This guy says he has a Suhr, a Carvin, and a Strandberg out on order right now, yet he says re-fretting this neck would be expensive. Someone that can afford to have those 3 guitars on order wouldn't sweat the price of a re-fret job. One post it's "going to the closet", the next it's "getting passed on to his brother's kid". How childish and hot headed does that even sound? I also suspect that "I gave it to my luthier" is code talk for "I took it to my local guitar shop and asked them to put it together for me." Which in turn happened to be the place where he probably got the sentence "This tends to happen with jumbos when they don't pay attention to QC".

Here's the deal, kid, Warmoth has great quality parts and great customer service. If you ordered a Wolfgang back and they sent you a fatback, which I doubt is the case since I had one of their Wolfgang necks and it's fairly thick, but if they did send you the wrong one they'll reimburse you for their mistake. As for the fret ends, I'm gonna have to side with Cagey's assessment.
MULLY
just calling it as I see it

Back