Disappointed with this neck

Mayfly said:
This forum really does an excellent job of separating the bull from the shite.

Hey!  I just became a master member!  Better than being an expert fisherman (aka a master baiter) I suppose...

The problem I have is that this person apparently has not looked to see if the stamp is the correct one for a Wolfgang, hasn't checked if the fret ends were done by the guy putting the guitar together, and will "be happy" with the name brands that are popular, yet will have no problem trashing a company without checking if in fact the problem is actually W's.  I am sure that Warmoth has dealt with this situation before, but it is kind of sad when you hear it.

I have jumbo frets on my necks, stainless, and they do not come with a 35 degree bevel.  I have to do that myself, and then clean up the ends.  Any mistakes are my doing.  The frets tend to bite my hand if I do not bevel and dress them, so I usually notice quite quickly if that has been done.  It happens with all of my new necks, so I just do the process before bothering to put the thing together now.
Patrick

In my experience playing on guitars with all different specs (nut widths, string spreads at bridge, and radius'), this issue with the highest string (or lowest) sliding off is never a result of the frets. I have noticed it being an issue with wider bridge string spreads (like the above-mentioned vintage strat) and/or the very curved 7.25" radius. Other than with those specs, I have never had this problem. Besides, this issue can be tamed with a different technique (not always ideal).

But anyway, I think this thread is just a BS attempt at bashing Warmoth.

Yeah ... I think we have to have a classic meme here ...

obvious-troll-is-obvious_48606.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
IIRC, the Wolfgang is asymmetrical whereas the Fatback isn't.  No need to see a stamp.
I disagree.  I would want to see what was stamped there.  It should be easy enough to determine the profile by measuring at the first and twelfth fret, and by looking at it, but what is stamped there along with this would determine if it was a mistake or not.  That would go a long ways in determining if the response is appropriate.
Patrick

To be fair, buying things sight-unseen (or hearing-unheard) is always something of a crap shoot. You have to trust verbal descriptions, and there are always interpretations and opinions coloring those things.

I remember buying my first Warmoth neck w/ monster stainless frets back about 4-5 years ago. The whole time I waited for the thing it was "OMFG WHAT HAVE I DONE?" As most of you know, buying a Warmoth neck is not a trivial expense. I could have bought a whole guitar for what that bloody neck cost.

Difference is I was way more than satisfied when I got it. I was ecstatic. It was the nicest neck I'd ever played. But, it could have gone the other way. If I'd have been used to some wonky old thing, the new thing could have been nearly unplayable. You get used to a certain feel and dimension set, and anything other than that just feels wrong, even if it's the most highly regarded thing in the world to the vast majority of users.

So, we should probably lighten up on this guy. He may sound like a troll to us, but I'm pretty sure we sound like mesmerized fanboys or Apple iThingy owners to your average player. If nothing else, we're certainly not befriending the guy or helping the cause anywhere else. Who knows? He may go back to The Gear Page or Harmony Central and ream the brand or the forum a new one, deserved or not. That doesn't help anybody.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

My guess is that you guys could have talked him into going to Warmoth to fix the problem. Unfortunately, you've all probably driven him off by now. I don't think he was trolling in any sense, just stubborn.

:blob7:

OK - stop the drama please. Several has suggested and/or asked him if he have been in contact with Warmoth about it.

He's not been logged in since his 3. post in this thread. And way back he posted:

DragonBiscuit said:
I just ordered an all pau ferro strat neck for my build and now I can't wait to see it ;]

And now the neck is PF/Wenge ... and as Mullyman has pointed out he has some strange utterances of what he will do with this neck/build. You reap what you sow.

But let's see ...

Of course you're correct, but don't assemble the thing, void the return, and then say it's wrong.  Don't drop it off at your luthier without inspecting it first yourself.

This wasn't a just out of the box thread.

FWIW, and this may possibly work in this guy's defense, my first Warmoth neck was ordered from scratch. AAA birdseye front and back, Wolfgang back shape etc... When I placed my order I specifically asked them "Can you do a back shape like the Wolfgang?" and the guy I talked to said "We actually have a Wolfgang neck here that we can get the specs from." This possibly was before they offered it as a standard option, I have no idea. Anyway, when it got here, that back shape wasn't like a Wolfgang. I had 2 Wolfgang's at the time and it wasn't like either of them. It was close, but it wasn't the same. I never really adjusted to that neck. Now that I think about it though, what is the radius of the Wolfie fingerboard? I ordered the Warmoth 10-16. That alone could have made the neck back feel different....maybe. Anyone care to pipe a professional opinion in on that one?
MULLY
also, if ordered, does Warmoth do a Stingray back shape for bass necks?

The specs for the Wolfgang neck are on the site, it's no longer an off the menu option.  I'm sure Eddie has had several neck shapes which all fall under his Wolfgang umbrella, just don't ask him.  Which one is W's based on?  Who knows. But the OP claims his is a Fatback and offers nothing to back his conclusion. 

The question I'd like answered is what was the width of the neck at the nut? 

Hopefully Mr. Biscuit will log back in with good news.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The specs for the Wolfgang neck are on the site, it's no longer an off the menu option.  I'm sure Eddie has had several neck shapes which all fall under his Wolfgang umbrella, just don't ask him.  Which one is W's based on?  Who knows. But the OP claims his is a Fatback and offers nothing to back his conclusion.

Sorry, my post probably wasn't clear enough. What I was trying to say was "in his hands" it may not feel like the Wolfgang, it may feel thicker and he's assuming it's a fatback.

Also, just to make sure on your post after this one, I was asking about the back of the bass neck contour like a Stingray, not the body shape. Just making sure we're on the same page.
MULLY

I know exactly what you meant.  They can't even do a 4+2 or 3 + 1 headstock, let alone call it that.  Remember, the EBMM protected the Earvana thing and it wasn't even theirs.  Things they actually do own, like a neck profile, I can't see them sharing that.  The Stingrays I've played, they felt like p-basses anyway.

I wouldn't put it down as a troll, for the simple reason that he included shots of  a $400 neck you'd be really hard-pressed to find elsewhere. But in looking at one, I do see it can't be a fatback. On both those and boatnecks, there's a non-existent transition from the head to the back of the neck - the carve uses the entire thickness. That neck does have an inset to the neck back, so what ever it is, it ain't a fatback. I wonder if "his luthier"* knows the trick where you brace the upper horn on your stomach, grab the headstock and YANK the damn high E string back over the frets...

*(sniksnik -"MY luthier" claims always warm and comfort me a bit. When I was figuring out seven-strings, I spent a fair amount of time over at that forum. And I kept reading "MY luthier" this and MY luthier that and "I had MY luthier set it up with 11's and re-tension the nuckelboinger" and I thought "Damn! I wish I had a luthier chained in MY basement right next to the money printer!" And then I realized - the dwiblets DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THEIR OWN STRINGS....

Back