Disappointed with this neck

StubHead said:
*(sniksnik -"MY luthier" claims always warm and comfort me a bit. When I was figuring out seven-strings, I spent a fair amount of time over at that forum. And I kept reading "MY luthier" this and MY luthier that and "I had MY luthier set it up with 11's and re-tension the nuckelboinger" and I thought "Damn! I wish I had a luthier chained in MY basement right next to the money printer!" And then I realized - the dwiblets DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THEIR OWN STRINGS....

Yeah, I get a smirk on my face whenever I see someone type "my luthier" too. If anyone reading this has their own luthier on call do me a favor, call him what he really is....."the guy that works down at the guitar shop that does menial work on my guitar for a nominal fee because I haven't taken the time to sit down for 5 minutes to learn how to do this stuff myself". Whew, that's a mouthful, maybe "luthier" is easier. And tell me, if I take my guitar down to the shop to have some work done on it, can I call that guy "my luthier"? I'd really like to have my own luthier someday. Oooh, better yet, I want to sound hip and bad ass, I'll call mine "my tech".
MULLY

I definitely always say "my tech" even though it's quite often not the same person. It's a reasonably useful shorthand for "the guy who's doing this work for me". One guy used to do all my stuff and he definitely was a luthier, I just never used him in that capacity. It was just fret dresses and stuff.

I actually do have a luthier that I go to, but I basically just visit him to talk and see what he's working on because I can't actually afford one of his guitars.  :sad:  They're reallllllyyyy nice guitars too. 

StubHead said:
When I was figuring out seven-strings, I spent a fair amount of time over at that forum. And I kept reading "MY luthier" this and MY luthier that and "I had MY luthier set it up with 11's and re-tension the nuckelboinger" and I thought "Damn! I wish I had a luthier chained in MY basement right next to the money printer!" And then I realized - the dwiblets DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THEIR OWN STRINGS....

What's your username over there?

Those guys are hilarious. The luthierie section mostly consists of guys who ordered some parts and told "their luthier" to put it together. Of course, that makes them luthiers. :toothy12:

Sissiest bunch of "luthiers" I've run in to. :icon_biggrin:

I can't help noticing that none of your luthiers have names other than 'my luthier'. I call my luthier Vandross. I'll be here all week. Try the veal!

Just wait until it turns into a schoolyard style "my luthier could beat your luthier" argument.  :laughing7:

If they can't build a guitar from scratch by hand, start to finish, they're not a luthier.. So in reality most that talk about "their luthier" are actually referring to a "tech", big difference..

Going by the below quote ....

DragonBiscuit said:
I just ordered an all pau ferro strat neck for my build and now I can't wait to see it
Note the date in quote ......

Has taken him a while before saying anything about it, maybe a stuff of one's own or someone else's.
I can't see a Warmoth problem other than the wrong neck profile sent.

But that all comes back to that little bit of paper ya get with a neck or body.
Check and make sure everything is as it should be, fit etc etc etc.

Gee I even check to make sure a pen works, when I buy one.  :icon_biggrin:

One of my points. With that visiting frequency we'll know in one and a half year. 

So in the mean time: I'm my own luthier ... oh excuse me ... tech ... no ... luthier ...  :sign13:

The only winner in this situation is the guy's nephew.  All he has to do is remount the neck so that it is lined up properly with the guitar's body.

DavyDave53 said:
The only winner in this situation is the guy's nephew.  All he has to do is remount the neck so that it is lined up properly with the guitar's body.

If he has a luthier!  :icon_jokercolor:

Our Luthier's name is Smythers! Been in the family for years, don't you know! A positively smashing fellow! :toothy12:

Back