Mooncaster Bass

dmraco

Master Member
I will post this as a work in progress, but I have yet to get the body.  I am just too excited.

Spike at Warmoth was great to work with an answered all my questions.

This is my first finished body in some time but I am really looking forward to it.  No neck yet.  This is a Christmas gift for my son and I wanted to leave the shape and wood type up to him.  I also want him to do some research on the TV Jones pick ups.  It looks like he has three options.  I am open to any input from you all as well.

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 30
That'll be a cool gift for your son.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

How will you handle not building the whole thing, though? :laughing11:

Dunno if you've considered the neck yet, but I think the Warmoth 2x2 headstock would look good with that offset body.  Here's one in maple with black block inlays that I think would suit that body just fine if you hit it with a vintage tint finish, or even clear satin.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Shape=91&Path=SSB,Tilt&Body=1&i=BN7928#.WirSBaI1ODA

BN7928A.jpg

Bagman67 said:
Dunno if you've considered the neck yet, but I think the Warmoth 2x2 headstock would look good with that offset body.  Here's one in maple with black block inlays that I think would suit that body just fine if you hit it with a vintage tint finish, or even clear satin.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Shape=91&Path=SSB,Tilt&Body=1&i=BN7928#.WirSBaI1ODA

BN7928A.jpg

I think he will go with that.  Looks good especially in 32 inch scale.  It think 30 inches may look to short.  Beside he already has a 30 inch G4.

He will likely want something unfinished.  Roasted maple would look cool with the body.  He is really enjoying his current roasted maple Warmoth....

Bagman67 said:
Dunno if you've considered the neck yet, but I think the Warmoth 2x2 headstock would look good with that offset body.
That headstock does look good.

Question on the bridge.  It came with 2 small black washers.  Do these go between the bridge and the studs or the bridge and the retaining nuts?  I would think the bridge/nuts but I wanted to make sure.

DMRACO said:
Question on the bridge.  It came with 2 small black washers.  Do these go between the bridge and the studs or the bridge and the retaining nuts?  I would think the bridge/nuts but I wanted to make sure.
That's where I used them, between the bridge and the top post nuts.

Neck ordered.  It should go nicely with the clear to brown burst.

Roasted maple and rosewood.  I really like the color of the rosewood.  We already have a raw roasted maple, but t his one may get a floss finish.

bn7960A.jpg

Thanks.  We were hoping to get a nice piece of wenge, but everything in 32 inch scale was SO dark.  When we saw this rosewood, we decided to move on this.

SS 6150 fret with adorn this beauty.  Silver Gotohs too.

pups ordered.....
https://www.tvjones.com/thundermag-pickups.html

These are a bit higher in output than the thunder trons.  BTW....the most I have ever paid for a pickup too.  Warmoth need some other routing options if possible.  I hope I like like them.

tm-uvchm-both.jpg

ghotiphry said:
Floss finish?  Nice looking fretboard!

tenor.gif

Gloss.  Sorry.  We are going to wait and see.  We already have a raw roasted maple.  He may want this one with a finish. 

So I did most of the wiring.  I am waiting on TV JONES.  I ordered the THUNDER'MAG.  The are supposed to have a bit more bite that the trans (see link) Unfortunately I have to wait for them to be made and NAMM slowed them down a bit.  All the wiring is done and installed.  I just have to attach the wires for pickups.  My son is going so a more retro vibe with the knobs.  So far no wires are showing.

We will be leaving the neck raw but I will be glossing the headstock.

This body has so much going on...flame...quilt.  Gorgeous.  I guess the proper term would just be WILD maple.

https://www.tvjones.com/thundermag-pickups.html

Attachments

• moon1.jpg
    moon1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • moon2.jpg
    moon2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
That does look good. What a fine top.  :icon_thumright:

Could you just burnish the headstock and not need any finish on it?

Back