Mooncaster Bass

Rgand said:
Could you just burnish the headstock and not need any finish on it?

He wants gloss to match the body.  It will shine with burnishing but not like poly

I am debating between a water slide or one of Doug’s excellent plates.  The 4 string Warmoth headstck is so small it will have to be a bit smaller.  Once I can take some measurements I will see what Doug can do.  I still have one plate he sent me left so I can see how much it needs shrunk.  Neck arrives Tuesday.    So excited.

Brown is coming today.  Next order of business is to gloss the headstock and take some measurements for Doug. :headbang:

Man... Give me another pic or two of that body, would ya?  That's something special.  I remember that one, and had it in my shopping cart for a day or so...

ghotiphry said:
Man... Give me another pic or two of that body, would ya?  That's something special.  I remember that one, and had it in my shopping cart for a day or so...

Attachments

• body and neck.jpg
    body and neck.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
I really dig those almost amp-style knobs.  I think they'll go nicely with the Thunder'Mags' aesthetic.

I'm liking the Warmoth 2x2 headstock with that offset body.  The headstock kinda echos the body shape. 

Bagman67 said:
I'm liking the Warmoth 2x2 headstock with that offset body.  The headstock kinda echos the body shape.

Absolutely.  I also like the lines in the body that start at then neck and then kinda fan out.  I've got a little twinge of envy.

Bagman67 said:

We thought long an hard which one to get.  I think we made the right choice based on exactly what you said.

What a beautifully balanced looking instrument. Nice choices all around.

I was able to gloss the headstock last night.  I am off to Austin for a few days.  I hope the pickups are there when I arrive home.

more work done.  Pickups installed and wired.  I need to get the strings he wants but used some old ones to make sure everything lined up.  These pickups are SICK!!!!

Attachments

• bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • bass4.jpg
    bass4.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 27
1st kid on the block to have one like that? No. First kid in the world. Fantastic piece of work.

Cagey said:
1st kid on the block to have one like that? No. First kid in the world. Fantastic piece of work.

Thanks.  I still have to string and set up.  I was worried about the design from another thread on the moon caster SSB build needing a neck shim in REVERSE.  This seems OK.  I had to raise the bridge a bit but no issues and still have the micro adjusters on the individual saddles.

My only complaint in the pick up rings from TV jones.  They are tapered like a les Paul.  I do not believe this has an angled neck pocket making them unnecessary.

I had that same problem with the Mooncaster I built for T89Rex, which also used TV Jones pickups. I think we ended up with three different sets of mounting rings, finally settling on the flat metal parts as the most attractive...

pzda1oI.jpg

They're not an exact fit, but they're close enough for rock 'n' roll.

Cagey....those look like stock humbucker rings.  Correct?  I am trying to avoid that gap.  I also did not want the large ones used on the WARMOTH build

Yes, they are, and there is a gap. It's not obnoxious, though. I mean, it doesn't really look wrong. It's just a looser fit than it could be. Better than having goofy tilts. If it's really driving you nuts, you could have Doug cut you something custom.

I just look and TV jones has FENDER style.  I sent them a note to see if they are tapered.  I think they owe me them for making me wait 4 weeks for the pickups :icon_thumright:

Back